Friday, January 13, 2012

Detox and Bibimbap

I'm back from the 7-day GOOP detox diet, and lived to tell the tale (barely).

It was not all bad. I came out of it cured of my caffeine addiction, and 6 lbs. lighter. And here it is, nearly a week later, and I've only gained back 2 of those lbs. I feel pretty good about it. I expected to drop some lbs, but one unexpected outcome of the detox was DESTROYED hands. Ashy is not even the right word; is there a word for cracked and red and scabby, other than TMI? Well, it seems that all I did on this diet was pee, wash my hands, repeat. As in, I found myself in the bathroom every hour. I was drinking a LOT of liquids, especially when, in the first few days, it feels like your stomach has started to eat your backbone.

But anyway, I'm sure the last thing anyone wants to hear is another detox diet story, so I'll move on to something better. Like this bibimbap I made last night:


If you've never had bibimbap, you need to, immediately. And if you want to make it, all the better. You don't have to have a fancy stone bowl, like the dulsot in the picture above (I go to great lengths to make good food) -- you can use a cast iron skillet.

Just add a little sesame oil to a skillet, heat it up to super hot on the stove, and pack in some cooked rice (I used brown, but white gets crispier). Smash it in there, against the bottom (and sides, if you're using a dulsot). Keep the flame as hot as you can, and let it crisp up. You'll hear some popping; that's good. Then add in your (pre-cooked or raw veggie) toppings. I like raw carrot, cooked zucchini, wilted greens, mushrooms, chicken or beef, etc., but really anything would work here. Whatever you have in your crisper, basically.

Let it cook a little longer, until your ingredients are warm, or your rice is on the verge of burnt, then if you want, crack a raw egg on top (but only if everything is really really hot, like enough to semi-cook an egg). Sprinkle on some sesame seeds, and then carefully remove the skillet/dulsot from the heat.

At this point, I like to put the one dulsot in between the BF and myself, and then attack it, like hungry dogs.

I found a really good chicken marinade recipe, then adjusted it down for 1 boneless/skinless chicken breast.

Korean Chicken Bulgogi

Ingredients:
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, partially frozen
glug of soy sauce
1 TB sugar
several pinches salt
1/2 TB sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
black pepper
a few shakes of crushed red pepper flakes
handful of diced onion

1. Take the partially frozen chicken breast and slice it in half, lengthwise. Then slice each half crosswise, into thin strips. Place into a ziploc overnight.
2. About an hour before you want to cook the chicken, mix the soy sauce, sugar salt, sesame oil, garlic, black pepper and red pepper. Pour it over the chicken and throw in the onions. Let it marinate in the fridge for an hour.
3. Put a little sesame oil in a skillet, and heat it on medium high heat (or, you know... as hot as you can tolerate in relation to the amount of grease flying out... turn down as needed as you cook). Using tongs, remove the chicken pieces from the bag and place into the oil. Discard the rest of the contents of the bag.
4. Cook the chicken until browned; flip and cook the other side. The browner it gets, the more crunchy and delicious it tastes. When cooked, remove to a paper towel-lined plate.

I used a mandolin slicer to matchstick the carrots and zucchini; the zucchini, I cooked in a skillet with sesame oil and a little sugar and salt and garlic powder, for about 2 minutes over medium heat.

Top this, and everything, with Sriracha, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment