Friday, June 18, 2010

See? MD Summers are Good for Something...

I guess I've kind of forgotten about the fact that I have a yard now; I tend to do that from time to time. It's not such a big deal in the winter, because not much really happens out there (oh, aside from several feet of snow accumulation that needs shoveling, but I digress).

Summer time though... things get a little crazy. Yesterday the humidity finally went away and it was glorious outside, so I stepped out back to say so what so what so what's the scenario to my veggie garden. I think I saw Audrey II out there.



So these tiny little tomato plants I planted out there are now monsters. Like, so big they grew over the tiny cages I put around them and were laying on the ground, COVERED IN TINY GREEN TOMATOES. I had to string them back up, and when I did they were way over my head.

The most exciting part though, was this:
Eggplant, NOMS

Eggplant! Side note: my ex-bf, The Greek, called them aubergines. It took me a long time to figure out what the heck he was even talking about.

Oh, I gots plans for deez:
Rigatoni with Eggplant Puree (so good, and I have witnessed eggplant haters devour this, unknowingly... heh heh heh)
VEGAN: Rustic Eggplant Bread Lasagna (I crave this, unfailingly, on a quarterly basis. There is something SO SATISFYING about it.
Grilled Eggplant and Olive Pizza (using provolone is pricey, and match-sticking it is time consuming, but it's worth it, b'lieve)

Anyway, I spent a good hour out there last night weeding/finding-plants-I'd-forgotten-I-even-planted. My findings:

-cucumbers, the vines are thriving!
-basil (complete resurrection of one of those wilty grocery store buys with the roots still attached, TONS of green seedlings, a sprinkling of purple)
-sage
-rosemary (smells so good that I *might* have rubbed some on my wrists)
-cauliflower: not doing so hot
-tomatoes: require a lot of space (should have listened to my dad when he said I planted them too close)
-strawberries: do just fine without those topsy-turvy growers; in fact, better (even though something is stealing the berries)

See? I do more than just drink, shop, and act like a dumb-dumb. Sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment