Thursday, July 23, 2009

When Life Imitates 1990s Technology

Yesterday my Mom came for dinner. I made chicken fajitas on the grill, and my mom made some lime cilantro rice. It was all so very good. I had some handmade tortillas from Trader Joe’s that made all the difference.

So after dinner, I walked my Mom down to show her the retaining wall they’re putting up by my apartment complex… right near the water line (I believe that would be called the “shore”). Standing there for a few minutes, we started to hear music – apparently there was a band playing at the park, so we decided to walk down and check it out.

The closer we got, the more apparent it became that it was marching band music. My mom broke out her best march, and I broke out that move where you kick your legs out behind you all while chopping your arms in front of you. Down the street. In public. As one does.

Anyway, the closer we got, the older the demographic grew. All down Commerce Street old people, in groups of one or two, were dragging lawn chairs and shuffling across the street. As we neared the park, we saw that the growing audience formed a sea of white hair.

…this is about to take a turn for the Nerdy...

Do you ever have moments where your life turns into a video game you used to play when you were a kid? I used to play Super Mario so much that when I had to stop for dinner, I would get really freaked out, thinking that some goomba was going to jump out at me or something on my way up to the kitchen from the basement.

So, there was this game for Super Nintendo called EarthBound, and I used to play it CONSTANTLY. It was like a precursor for the Sims. You’re this little kid that has to go through all of these “quests” through his neighborhood and beyond to beat some aliens. There’s this one part where a town is overrun by zombies, and you have to find “zombie fly paper” and put it in a tent. Overnight, the zombies come to the tent and get stuck to the fly paper, thus ending the zombie problem.

If there was ever an “old people problem,” I might suggest an Army marching band.

It was unreal. Everywhere old people were coming out of the woodwork. I didn’t even know there were so many old people in Havre de Grace. It was like they couldn’t help themselves but to find the source of this glorious noise, because anything else would be unpatriotic.

But for me, I had the opposite reaction, which is to say I walked FASTER, right past the spectacle, making certain that my feet weren’t accidentally moving in time to the music. Only when I was past it did I turn around to tell my mom to HURRY IT UP! Not sure why, but I wanted out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment